Friday, January 21, 2011

gone but not forgotten----

Yesterday my sister called me.  We don't talk often, but when we do we go marching back in time.  Her memory is fantastic and somehow we got on the subject of the neighborhood where we grew up.  Remember in my first post I spoke of the old neighborhood and the corner store?  Well, she actually remembers the names of everyone who lived there.  We have very fond memories of that place.  Even though it was within the city limits, it was like a country village.

Two and a half years ago, while visiting my daughter back East, we took a day to go see where I went to school and I wanted to show her where I grew up.  I remembered exactly how to get there and when we arrived I was astonished to find that my old neighborhood was - GONE.  I don't mean to say it had been turned into a mall or amusement park, it simply was GONE.  No corner store, no houses, no lofty oak and maple trees, nothing.  It had been turned into a wild bird sanctuary.

Well, sister and I talked about this and we are glad that, if it had to disappear, it became a wildlife refuge.  But, I was really disappointed.  I went home and researched this on the Internet, and no where is there any mention of the people who had lived there.  I feel like a part of my history has been taken away, but it will live on in our memories.  Good memories of a simple childhood, we were poor, but happy because of where we were.

Till next time,  Hatsy

1 comment:

  1. So sad to think of it as gone. :( How I felt when I went back to Jersey and even tho I knew ahead of time, that the farmhouse was gone. Bummer. But other places were still there and that made me feel better. Kit

    ReplyDelete